WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA9)--In the District, firefighters raced to the scene of a carbon monoxide leak at a Northwest Washington home.
Three people were taken to the hospital suffering from life-threatening effects of the gas. The incident happened in the 51-hundred block of New Hampshire Avenue.
From the outside, this Northwest Washington home looks like it's ready for the holidays. But inside, according to DC Fire and EMS, a potentially deadly gas escaped from a faulty water heater.
"It's sad to hear that your neighbor has some kind of injury or something. It's very sad," said Reza Gsazabi, who lives next door to the victims.
He was among the neighbors who witnessed three of the residents transported to George Washington University Hospital.